UFC mixed martial arts light heavyweight Anthony Johnson, who recently posted a rant against a woman he met at the gym, has released an apology one day after the incident happened.
Johnson, who has a record of 19-5 MMA, 10-5 UFC, has posted a message on Facebook saying, “I’m man enough to admit when I’m wrong and yesterday I was absolutely wrong.”.
The one-time light heavyweight title challenger went into Facebook and ranted about a woman he met at the gym. He described the woman as “built like a bag of dried dog food” who apparently got mad because he lifted some weights while she was doing some stretches nearby on a yoga mat.
Johnson further revealed that he hurled the yoga mat across the facility, which the woman found very upsetting, and left the woman crying to the front desk. A few hours after he posted the rant on Facebook, Johnson took it down because a lot of people were criticizing him on his behavior. He later went on to Twitter to defend his post.
Now, he has changed his stand on the situation and apologized to the woman for his behavior.
“I shouldn’t have gotten that upset from the start but I did, I mean I’m human. I said some pretty nasty things about a female from my gym while full of emotions (not a good idea) so I do wanna apologize to her for being rude as I was and not taking a break to relax after our argument. Sorry to everyone else too for having to witness me getting upset about a argument in the gym. I’m not going to sugarcoat it and make it seem like I’m a angel because I’m not but I will admit when I’m wrong. Other than that I hope everybody has a awesome day,” Johnson said.
A representative from the UFC hasn’t released any statement about the issue though.
This is not the first time Johnson made into the headlines for bad behavior. The 31-year old has been on the news on several occasions due to domestic violence allegations. Last 2010, Johnson pleaded to not guilty on the domestic violence charges against him. These charges resulted from an incident he had with his former girlfriend. Just last year, he was suspended after an allegation from his wife, but was reinstated when his wife retracted the protective order.
After his loss against Daniel Cormier, a submission which ended the third round, is now going back to the octagon again for another bout. He will be going against Jimi Manuwa, who has a record of 15-1 MMA and 4-1 UFC, this coming September 5 at UFC 191 which will be held at Las Vegas MGM Grand Garden Arena.